It’s been a while since I’ve blogged. I won’t share any excuses. I just haven’t blogged. I’m hoping to remedy that.
In February, we worked on a project with third-eighth graders. Our school has a theme week during which students choose from and attend a variety of workshop sessions around a common theme. This year’s theme was the Olympics. We decided to use the Aurasma app on iPads to create auras with students. Here are some details about the workshop:
- Students came for 1 session only
- Sessions were 1 ¼ hour in length
- There were 12 students in each session
- We did four sessions a day over three Days
- Total: approximately 150 auras created!
Students only had that one session, so we needed to make this whole thing happen in just that time. Also given our time constraints, we completed the whole project on iPads, rather than incorporate computers or laptops into the process. Students chose to create a video using Tellagami or an iMovie trailer. The videos were about anything having to do with the Olympics- an athlete, a country, a sport. (We didn’t have time for research, so they needed some prior knowledge about their topic.)
Once they finished creating the video and saving it to the Camera Roll on the iPad, we took them through the steps of creating an aura in Aurasma. We uploaded all of the auras to one channel and then took trigger images of icons and photos from or about the Olympics. We posted those trigger images around the school for anyone to scan and then view the videos.
It was a great success, except for the one session where the internet went down!
Here’s how using Augmented Reality and the Aurasma app has evolved since then in our school:
- Weather: students used Explain Everything to describe some collected and documented weather data. Those students then created a comic about a weather disaster and then used the comic as their trigger image.
- Issues in Africa: students used iMovie to create PSAs about various issues in Africa today. They then shared them with one another for reflection and feedback by creating auras with trigger images around the classroom. Students walked around the room with iPads to view one another’s videos.
- Solar System: a class made a large-scale model of the solar system on the ceiling. They put labels near planets and moons. Those labels are transforming into trigger images leading to videos with more detail about that planet or moon.
- Classy Cards: one class worked with the art teacher to create paintings. Those paintings are then transformed into greeting cards. The class sells packages of these cards as a fundraiser for a local charity. They’re using Aurasma and creating auras of each painting that lead to a marketing video explaining what they did, why, and for what charity.
Here is a site I put together with resources about Augmented Reality for a recent conference at which I shared this project. I especially like this post (also on the site) which explains the difference between the Aurasma app and using Aurasma studio. I found that extremely helpful.
One goal for introducing this technology during Theme Week was to share a new technology and have it spread beyond the project. There are many people using Aurasma and augmented reality now, and many who are pondering how to incorporate this technology into their work with students.
Finally, in the spirit of sharing, here’s a doc with step-by-step directions on setting this up yourself. (also on the site listed above)